Thursday, July 2, 2009

Living in a Van down by the River

The late Chris Farley created a character for Saturday Night Live called Matt Foley. Matt was a Motivational Speaker – but not a very good one. He lived in a van down by the river. He described his life in a skit where he was trying to motivate two wayward teenagers.


“My name is Matt Foley, and I am a Motivational Speaker! I am 35 years old. I am divorced. And I live in a van down by the river! I'm here to tell you that you're gonna find out, as you go out in the world, that you're not gonna amount to Jack Squat! You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a van down by the river!”

Matt’s description of his life was summarized in one metaphor: “Eating government cheese in a van down by the river.” What a perfect description of a life of wasted potential. Matt Foley is a sad picture of what happens when a person fails to find their destiny.

Destiny is the special thing that you were born to do, that no one else but you can do. The theme of destiny is everywhere in the Bible. Paul said to the church in Ephesus,

“For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” (Ephesians 2:10)

The life of Jeremiah exemplifies the power of destiny. During his first encounter with the Lord, God said to him,

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5)

Jeremiah must have been encouraged to know that God had destined him to do something significant. He certainly needed that knowledge on many occasions. He lived through the darkest time in Israel’s history, and he prophesied to a people who did not want to hear a word he said.

I wonder if Jeremiah had days when he questioned if it was all worth it. He certainly let the Lord know how he felt about his situation. That is why he is sometimes called the “Complaining Prophet.” He said,

“O Lord, You deceived me, and I was deceived. I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me. So the word of the Lord has brought me in-sult and reproach all day long.” (Jeremiah 20:7, 8)

But destiny has a great power to keep us on course. Jeremiah’s next words were:

“But if I say, ‘I will not mention Him or speak any more in His name,’ His word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.” (Jeremiah 20:9)

Apparently, Jeremiah did not want to end up living in a van down by the river. Neither do I.

How about you?

2 comments: